The Tao Lab seeks structure-property relationships in nanoscale, heterogeneous matter through the development of single-nucleon magnetic resonance imaging. On this journey toward direct, 3D imaging of atomic structures, we are compelled to lift the performances of force-sensing and magnetic gradient-generating systems to new heights. We expand the tool boxes of nanofabrication and material synthesis, for the existing arsenal of sample preparation methods usually proves inadequate to support this nano-engineering tour de force. This multidisciplinary adventure will continue to enable discoveries and understanding of new physical phenomena and chemical processes.
- Y. Tao, A. Eichler, T. Holzherr, and C. L. Degen, A switchable source for extremely high magnetic field gradients arXiv:1512.03185
- Y. Tao, R. Hauert, and C. L. Degen, Exclusively gas-phase passivation of native oxide-free silicon(100) and silicon(111) surfaces ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 8, 13157 (2016)
- Y. Tao, P. Navaretti, R. Hauert, U. Grob, M. Poggio, and C. L. Degen, Permanent reduction of dissipation in nanomechanical Si resonators by chemical surface protection Nanotechnology 26, 465501 (2015) Selected for "Nanotechnology Select". See accompanying news article on NanoTechWeb (http://nanotechweb.org/cws/article/tech/63011)
- Y. Tao and C. L. Degen, Single-crystal diamond nanowire tips for ultrasensitive force microscopy Nano Letters 15, 7893 (2015)
- B. A. Moores, A. Eichler, Y. Tao, H. Takahashi, P. Navaretti, and C. L. Degen, Accelerated nanoscale magnetic resonance imaging through phase multiplexing Applied Physics Letters 106, 213101 (2015) Cover story. See news article "New Technique Speeds nanoMRI Imaging" (https://www.aip.org/publishing/journal-highlights/new-technique-speeds-nanomri-imaging)
- Y. Tao, J. M. Boss, B. A. Moores, and C. L. Degen, Single crystal diamond nanomechanical resonators with quality factors exceeding one million Nature Communications 5, 3638 (2014)
- H. Xu, S. J. Zuend, M. G.Woll, Y. Tao, and E. N. Jacobsen, Asymmetric Cooperative Catalysis of Strong Brønsted Acid-Promoted Reactions Using Chiral Ureas Science 327, 986-990 (2010).