Optogenetic tools are currently revolutionizing the field of systems neuroscience. To take advantage of these tools, our lab is developing novel imaging systems and computational frameworks to flexibly address neurons throughout an entire vertebrate brain. Using techniques such as multi-photon microscopy, selective plane illumination microscopy (SPIM), and optogenetics, we will dissect the interaction between neural networks in larval zebrafish. Specifically, we are interested in the neural circuitry that underlies reinforcement learning. The techniques that we are developing will make it possible to rigorously test the involvement of multiple classes of reinforcement signals, clarify their interdependence, and raise new hypotheses about the organization of reinforcement circuitry in a vertebrate brain.
- Li JM*, Robson DN*, Uchida N, Engert F, Schier AF. Brain-wide imaging reveals lateralized neural dynamics during operant learning. (In revision)
- Lacoste A, Schoppik D, Robson DN, Haesemeyer M, Portugues R, Li JM, Engert F, Schier AFA parallel and essential interneuron pathway for Mauthner cell mediated escapes. (in press Current Biology)
- Schoppik D, Isaac BH, Prober DA, Douglass AD, Robson DN, Li JM, Greenwood J, Soucy E, Engert F, Schier AF. Asymmetric Neural Anatomy Underlies Specialized Oculomotor Behavior (in revision)
- Ahrens MB, Orger MB, Robson DN, Li JM, Keller PJ. Whole-brain functional imaging at cellular resolution using light-sheet microscopy. Nat Methods. 2013 May;10(5):413-20
- Bianco IH, Ma LH, Schoppik D, Robson DN, Orger MB, Beck JC, Li JM, Schier AF, Engert F, Baker R. The tangential nucleus controls a gravito-inertial vestibulo-ocular reflex. Curr Biol. 2012 Jul 24;22(14):1285-95
- Ahrens MB, Li JM, Orger MB, Robson DN, Schier AF, Engert F, Portugues R. Brain-wide neuronal dynamics during motor adaptation in zebrafish. Nature. 2012 May 9;485(7399):471-7
100 Edwin H. Land Blvd.
Cambridge, MA 02142