7. (Q) May my letters of recommendation be sent electronically ?
(A) Applicants should list three referees to whom separate emails will be sent outlining instructions to upload their letters of recommendation.
8. (Q) My field is X, but looking at your current fellows I don't see anyone in X. Does that mean you don't consider applicants in X?
(A) While the program is thematically aimed at Energy Science and Engineering, the program accepts from such a broad range of fields that the current sampling of 8 or 10 fellows cannot possibly cover them all. The choices of our current fellows is based on the best proposed science at their submission time. If a new proposal meets that criterion then X may very well be the next field a fellow is chosen from.
9. (Q) When is the selection decision made ?
(A) The exact decision time depends on the scheduling of the visits of the final candidates (which usually number 4 or 5) and the selection committee's process of evaluation. We anticipate a decision by early October.
10. (Q) I currently have a position at Y and would like to apply for a Fellowship to support my work there - is this possible?
(A) No –a Rowland Fellow is expected to be resident at the Institute doing their research here during their fellowship tenure.
11. (Q) I just found out about the RF program, but it's now after the deadline for submissions - will the program be available next year ?
(A) Yes – our intention is that the Rowland Fellowship program will extend into the indefinite future. The details, such as the submission deadline, may change a little bit, but on the whole next year's requirements and process should be similar to this year's.