Rowland Junior Fellow
Rowland Institute at Harvard
100 Edwin H. Land Blvd.
Cambridge, MA 02142
Website: Biophysical Imaging and Spectroscopy Group
We are interested in understanding bacterial motility, particularly relating to the formation and propagation of biofilms. Most studies to date have focused either on macroscopic phenomena (for example, the size of colonies growing on agar plates) or on microscopic, single cell measurements. Our work focuses on the behavior of E. coli, using newly developed image processing algorithms to assess motility in much larger groups of individuals (typically around 10,000 at a time) than previously possible. We use high-throughput Fourier-space techniques, allowing the study of motility over a range of length scales from 1 micrometer to 1 millimeter, and timescales from one millisecond to several hours.
- "Small-world rheology: an introduction to probe-based active microrheology", L.G. Wilson and W.C.K. Poon (Invited review in preparation for Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics), (2010).
- "Polymer-induced phase separation in Escherichia coli suspensions", J. Schwarz-Linek, A. Winkler, L.G.Wilson, N.T. Pham, T. Schilling and W.C.K. Poon, Soft Matter 6, p.4540-4549, (2010).
- "Polymer-induced phase separation in suspensions of bacteria", J. Schwarz-Linek, G. Dorken, A. Winkler, L.G. Wilson, N.T. Pham, C.E. French, T. Schilling and W. C. K. Poon, EPL 89, p.68003, (2010).
- "Passive and Active Microrheology of Hard-Sphere Colloids", L. G.Wilson, A.W. Harrison, A. B. Schofield, J. Arlt and W. C. K. Poon, Journal of Physical Chemistry B 113, p.3806-3812, (2009).
- "Linear and nonlinear microrheology of dense colloidal suspensions", Laurence Wilson, Rut Besseling, Jochen Arlt, and Wilson C. K. Poon, Proceedings of the Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE), 6326, p.U441-U450, (2006).
- "Force measurement in colloidal glasses using optical tweezers", L. Wilson, R. Besseling, J. Arlt, W.C.K. Poon, Proceedings of the Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE), 5930, p. 593016, (2005).
- "Spherical aberration correction for optical tweezers", E. Theofanidou, L. Wilson, W.J. Hossack and J. Arlt, Optics Communications 236, p.145-150, (2004).