Rowland Junior Fellow
Rowland Institute at Harvard
100 Edwin H. Land Blvd.
Cambridge, MA 02142
Website:Applied Matter & Devices Group
One of the overarching themes of our research is the investigations and applications of quantum coherent matter. In superconductors, superfluids, and Bose-Einstein condensates, a large fraction of constituent particles can occupy the same quantum ground state and behave in many ways as a single entity. We are interested in not only studying fascinating properties of such state of matter but also applying them as a set of tools to elucidate some subtleties of the quantum world. With disregard for presumed boundaries between applied physics, material science, and engineering, we also develop metamaterials and devices whose novel properties do not naturally exist in nature. Our current interests include superfluid and superconducting Josephson phenomena, nano/micro/meta-materials & devices, inertial sensing technologies, matter wave interferometry, and force/displacement sensing limits.
- S. Narayana and Y. Sato, Heat flux manipulation with engineered thermal materials, Physical Review Letters 108, 214303 (2012).
- S. Narayana and Y. Sato, DC magnetic cloak, Advanced Materials 24, 71 (2012).
- Y. Sato and R. Packard, Superfluid helium quantum interference devices: physics and applications, Reports on Progress in Physics 75, 016401 (2012).
- S. Narayana and Y. Sato, Superfluid quantum interference in multiple-turn reciprocal geometry, Physical Review Letters 106, 255301 (2011).
- S. Narayana and Y. Sato, Quantum coherence in a superfluid Josephson junction, Physical Review Letters 106, 055302 (2011).
- S. Narayana and Y. Sato, Direct observation of dynamical bifurcation in a superfluid Josephson junction, Physical Review Letters 105, 205302 (2010).
- Y. Sato, A. Joshi, and R. Packard, Superfluid 4He quantum interference grating, Physical Review Letters 101, 085302 (2008).
- Y. Sato, A. Joshi, and R. Packard, Direct measurement of quantum phase gradients in superfluid 4He flow, Physical Review Letters 98, 195302 (2007).
- E. Hoskinson, Y. Sato, I. Hahn, and R. Packard, Transitions from phase slips to the Josephson effect in a superfluid 4He weak link, Nature Physics 2, 23 (2006).